Sports are fun, rewarding, and competitive, but they are also physically demanding and rough on the body. Injuries are bound to happen and when they do they can be devastating. A sports injury can keep an athlete on the sidelines for weeks, months, an entire season, or completely end their athletic career.
No matter the sport, there is a risk of a sports injury. The most common sports injuries include sprains, strains, and stress fractures. Although sports injuries are not completely avoidable, there are things you can do to prevent/reduce the risk of a sports injury. For this blog article, we share some ways you can work to prevent a sports injury:
- Schedule rest/off days (at least one day a week) from your sport to allow your body to properly recover.
- Wear the appropriate gear such as pads, helmets, mouthpieces, protective cups, eyewear, and more.
- Take time throughout the week and month to strengthen muscles with conditioning exercises.
- Stretch before and after practices and games to increase flexibility.
- Use proper techniques when playing your sport.
- Take breaks during practice and games when needed to reduce injuries or overheating.
- Do not play through pain.
- Follow all safety rules of the sport.
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after you play the sport.
If you’re an athlete, you will likely experience soreness, pain, or an injury from your activity at some point in your life. Even with the proper prevention techniques, not all injuries are preventable, especially those caused by an outside party or an unforeseen incident.
If you fall victim to a sports injury, we can help treat you. Through sports medicine and athletic training, our team at Sports Recovery Annex uses innovative techniques and training methods to treat our clients based on their individual needs and injuries.
We treat acute injuries, such as ankle sprains, muscle strains, knee and shoulder injuries, as well as overuse injuries, like tendinitis and stress fractures. Whether you’re a recreational athlete, student-athlete, or professional athlete, our trained medical staff will analyze your injury and create a custom treatment plan for a speedy recovery.
Book an Athletic Training Session in Jacksonville, Florida
If you are an athlete and are experiencing a sports injury, you will see benefits in your recovery and performance if you work with us at Sports Recovery Annex. We promise to use our skills and expertise to help you feel better and get you back in the game.
Our training and recovery specialists are experts in injury evaluation, functional movement screening, kinesiology, taping, sports stretching, and more.
Sports Recovery Annex is a walk-in sports recovery facility that provides everyday athletes and professionals access to state-of-the-art recovery services in Jacksonville. Our highly trained sports medicine staff include nationally certified athletic trainers, board-certified physicians, and support staff all who will help keep you free from injuries and help you actively recover between workouts and competitions.